I started following Austin and Tia at Novel Knight this past year. Let me tell you, these women know how to rock a book blog! They have created Beat the Backlist, a reading challenge for your TBR (to-be read) pile. To count as a backlist title, books must be published prior to 2018. While I rarely enroll in reading challenges, this sounds like a challenge I will enjoy!
I attempt to read or weed my TBR list every couple of months, keeping the number of titles below fifty. However, some of these titles have been languishing on my list for too long. Here are the twelve titles I intend to tackle for this reading challenge:
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)
- A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab (2015)
- Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli (2015)
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (1985)
- None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio (2015)
- The Wrath and Dawn by Renee Ahdieh (2015)
- The Demon King by Cinda Chima (2009)
- Firebug by Lish McBride (2014)
- The Bronze Horeseman by Paullina Simons (2000)
- Dark Matter by Blake Crouch (2016)
- Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour (2014)
- Nevernight by Jay Kristoff (2016)
My list has a little bit of everything. Genres include romance, fantasy, thrillers, and science fiction. It’s split evenly between young adult and adult titles. While my plan is to read one of these titles per month, my actual reading schedule will probably depend on when holds become available at my public library. Got to save them dollar dollar bills, yo.
As part of the fun, each participant is added to a team. I’m an official member of the Book Bards. Who’s with me?